Thursday, January 25, 2007

Truth is so rare that it is delightful to tell it.

Over the years I have been made fun of countless times because of my "picky eating". Like it was some sort of choice that I despised most foods. Well I'm here today to educate you!
"A supertaster is an individual who lives in a more intense taste world. Among individuals of European descent [which in the end is us], it is estimated that about 25% of the population are supertasters. The cause of this heightened response is currently unknown, although it is thought to be, at least in part, due to an increased number of fungiform papillae."
Because I am a supertaster this means I:
  • Perceive all tastes as more intense than other taster types, particularly bitter tastes
  • Tend to be fussy about their food and have strong food likes and dislikes
  • Usually don't like coffee, grapefruit, cabbage, Brussels sprouts and spinach
  • Have lots of papillae, the tiny bumps on the tongue that contain taste buds
To your left is a supertaster's tongue and to your right a normal persons. You'll notice supertasters have a lot more papillae and they are smaller, where as a normal tongue has fewer and they are a little larger.

I know what you're thinking. "Wow Sarah, I am so sorry for all the times I made fun of you for not liking mayo or mustard, pickles or vinegar, anything spicy or bitter, anything not regular, and especially all those sour one cent candies!"

And it's okay, I forgive you. But now you are educated! Go out and find a supertaster tomorrow and give them a hug. Tell them everything is going to be alright.

If you would like to learn more about this problem that effects thousands of North Americans click here or here.

1 comment:

Meagan said...

Wow. Concentrated papillae, eh? I'll forever think of you in a new light.

So why do you love coffee again?