There was a collective "wtf" moment a couple weeks ago when Stephen Harper elected Leona Aglukkaq as minister of health. Health is HIGH-PROFILE. Aglukkaq is a first time MP. SHE'S THE SARAH PALIN OF
I was super happy to see a woman get this position, but in all honesty, I'm pretty sure it was just Harper shining up his cabinet. I mean, what is better than a female native cabinet minister? Nothing... except maybe one that's in a wheelchair.
And this sounds cruel, yes, but I've taken enough Poli Sci classes to realize THIS IS THE SHIT THAT MATTERS. It is not who is qualified for the job a lot of the time, it's who looks good/sends a good message. Just ask Duceppe's hairnet supplier.
Back to women in politics.
Eva Aariak was elected as Nunavut's second ever premier today. I know absolutely nothing about her and the CBC says she's an "Iqaluit store owner."
Paul Okalik has held the position since 1999 when Nunavut was formed. I'm kind of sad to see Okalik go. Not because he accomplished anything worthwhile mind you. But he always said hello and kind words when I passed him on the street during my lunch breaks in Iqaluit (Nunavut's a tiny place... population wise).
And I super loved that classy seal-skin vest he wore all the time.
4 comments:
haha Duceppe's hairnet supplier, I loves it.
Two comments:
1. Isn't Sarah Palin already from the North?
2. That's a mean seal-skin vest.
1. Blog post aptly corrected.
2. And how. Danny's bff for sure.
HAHAHA, I approve.
Post a Comment