Monday, January 07, 2008

A high of minus thirty-three.

I always feel bad for my brother around this time of year. Maybe it’s because I’m still plump from Christmas festivities. Or the fact that his birthday is at the end of this month. Or it could be all that winter Arctic darkness.

On second thought, it’s definitely just the weather that makes me sympathetic.

I noticed in Darryl’s MSN name today that he had written “I’ve never seen it this cold.” I knew that meant no dice. I checked the weather online; it got to be -58C today in Iqaluit. Feeling a little sympathetic yourself?

Environment Canada issued this cheery warning for the city’s residents:

“A bitterly cold Arctic airmass combined with winds of 30 km/h continue to produce extreme wind chill values between minus 50 and minus 55. No significant change is expected over the next 24 to 36 hours so these extreme wind chill values are expected to persist through Tuesday.

At these extreme wind chill values frostbite on exposed skin may occur in less than 5 minutes.

1 comment:

Robyn McHugh said...

mmm commentcommentcomment.
Yum yum.