Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Oily silence mocks the legless.

Sometimes I feel like Stephen Harper is the only Canadian who wants us fighting in Afghanistan.

It’s not hard to draw this conclusion when I read newspapers with headlines screaming “HARPER WANTS TO EXTEND MISSION IN AFGHANISTAN” or “HARPER SCARED THAT 2009 PULLOUT WILL HARM NATO”.

Did my Prime Minister just tell the press he was scared?

Maybe it could be the fact that my Poli Sci profs all mutter about a certain foreign president’s hand being stuck up our current PM’s backside playing puppet master.

It could be that all three opposition parties are saying GET THE HELL OUT OF THERE, DUMBASS. The Bloc and NDP parties calling for a pullout of troops right now.

I could look at the 78 headstones of Canadian soldiers and cringe.

I could bite my nails and chalk it up to the fact that this year I will be having not one, but two close relatives serving overseas in this catastrophic “war on terror”.

Every time I start thinking about stuff like this I am reminded of that comment someone left on Matthew Good’s blog once upon a time…


“…if this was another decade, there would be riots in the streets. I guess our rebellious youth are waiting for the revolution to be streamed on Youtube first.”

No comments: