Thursday, December 06, 2007

Casus belli.

For those who’ve got their heads stuck really far up their... toques, I thought I would mention that today is National Day of Remembrance and Action on Violence against Women.

Now you might be thinking “Wow Sarah, that sure is a really long name for just one little day. Jesus only gets one word (Christmas) to describe His day, what makes this so important?” Well let me tell you without going into detail about what really happens because apparently truth makes everyone uncomfortable!

National Day of Remembrance and Action on Violence against Women began almost twenty years ago here in Canada.

Before Columbine there was École Polytechnique. 18 years later flags still sit at half mass on this day, mourning the fourteen women who lost their live.

“Lépine then separated the nine women from the approximately fifty men and ordered the men to leave. Speaking in French, he asked the remaining women whether they knew why they were there, and when one student replied “no”, he answered: “I am fighting feminism”.

One of the students, Nathalie Provost, said, “Look, we are just women studying engineering, not necessarily feminists ready to march on the streets to shout we are against men, just students intent on leading a normal life.”


Lépine responded that “You're women, you're going to be engineers. You're all a bunch of feminists. I hate feminists.” He then opened fire on the students from left to right, killing six and wounding three others, including Provost


First off, doesn’t this sound like it could be out of some archaic book describing a scene taking place in like the Middle East? But it was almost the nineties, just west of us in Montreal.

You guys know how I feel about gender-bias, in any form. This just seems unfathomable.

I just want everyone to remember for a second. All of this, just for a second.

No comments: