This morning I woke up early (hard to adjust to the time difference) and relaxed for most of the morning. This afternoon Darryl and I went shopping for hangers and milk. I picked up my groceries yesterday, it broke my heart. Eighty dollar tukeys anyone? How about three dollar Kraft Dinner?
Picked up two boxes of Special K (they only sell tiny ones, no jumbo sizes), at eight dollars a piece I'm pretty sure my mind broke a little.
For supper Darryl took Ashley (his girlfriend) and I out to the "fine dining" of Iqaluit. The Frobisher Inn (conveniently located in Darryl's building along with the movie theatres, the bar, a convenience store and a coffee place) is just like the Holiday Inn with two exceptions. One, the prices: My hamburger? Twenty-two dollars.
The other difference: sellers. The Inuit come in and walk around while you are seated to try and sell you things. Carvings, jewellery, prints - all at really high prices. But the thing is they're beautiful. So. I suck. Artsy stuff is my weakness.
Haggling him down to $50, I bought this piece and so far do not regret it. Darryl has a thing for carvings, but my weakness is definitely the beautiful watercolours, screened and hand-drawn (like this one) pictures.
No comments:
Post a Comment