Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Equal before the law.

I wanted to write something about the shootings yesterday that took place in Virginia (if you really live under a rock, read here).

But then I realized it would be nothing you hadn't heard or thought before. We all realize how ridiculous this whole massacre is and that it happened unecessarily, you do not need me to tell you that.

So instead I'll write on the fact that today is the twenty-fifth anniversary of the changing of the constitution to include the Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

In true grade six Language Arts fashion: What do the Charter of Rights and Freedoms mean to me?

15. (1) Every individual is equal before and under the law and has the right to the equal protection and equal benefit of the law without discrimination and, in particular, without discrimination based on race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, sex, age or mental or physical disability.

That says it all right there for me. My mom always laughs it off when I talk about ageism, but now I'm old enough to cease her laughter by yelling "Section fifteen, subsection one of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, Mommm." Really, it works.

Sometimes I get chills when I think about how lucky I am to be born in Canada. I don't think people say and think stuff like that enough.

Macdonald, Mackenzie, Macdonald, Abbot, Thompson, Bowell, Tupper, Laurier, Borden, Meighen, King, Meighen, King, Bennett, King, St. Laurent, Diefenbaker, Pearson, Trudeau, Clark, Trudeau, Turner, Mulroney, Campbell, Chretien, Martin, Harper. YUSSS. Going to ace this ridiculous exam.

No comments: