But might I just add,
Holly asked me a funny question the other day: Are there any hot guys up there?
To which I reply: Hell Yes.
I've never seen anything like it, there are so many six-foot-something-rugged-nice-hair guys in Iqaluit! It is so bizarre. And working at one of the most busiest places in town definitely allows me to size up everyone. It's just bizarre.
I dreamt I was pregnant (again) last night. I don't have many dreams that impact me out of sleep because I almost always know that I'm dreaming when I'm dreaming. But last night I woke up in panic with the kind of "What do I do? I can't have an abortion, can I? What is everyone going to say?" It took a long time for my conscious mind to convince the rest of me it was dream. I am getting sick of these.
I got a call to come in for an interview Monday morning at one of the day cares in town (don't ask me what it's called, it's got about four a's and six i's in it). I'm really excited because one of the two people I've actually met in town works there (her name is Ravee, RAH-VAY). It looks like a really nice place and the people seem cool so I hope I get it (plus it pays like double the store does!).
I keep buying Inuit art. :( A fabric painting and a soapstone carving has been added to the mix. So beautiful.
Jason (a guy I work with at DJs who is both a full time teacher and a full time manager at DJs, can you say KACHING) asked me today if I like it up here, and I surprised the both of us with a big "Yeah, I really do". And I mean it, I am completely enamored with the place.
I went for a walk the other day and ended up at the museum (again lots of vowels so don't ask me what it's called). The work is so beautiful and I wish I could take it all home with me. Here are some pictures from the walk.
The view from my window (taken from the road though).
See that field behind the houses? Nope, it's the bay. The ice right now is about twenty-five feet deep, it won't thaw until July.
Cool Nunavut license plates.
Formerly the beloved "The Snack", my brother remembers it fondly as it sadly burnt down on his birthday.
Only animals in town (other than the millions of dogs) are the GIANT ravens. I pee myself every time I'm near one, they are honestly the size of a large cat.
Funky school. The reason all the buildings are on poles is because it's hard to dig through frozen earth, because of this a lot of buildings in town have to have their sewage pumped because they are not connected to lines (kind of like a port-a-potty).
Front of the museum (see what I mean about the spelling?).
Some of the art. I loved this painting.
Made entirely out of caribou antler.
Made with whale bone, it was huge!
And for sale. . . ATCs!!!!!!!!! OH YEAH. I didn't buy one (they were $15 each), but I'm thinking I'll go back and buy the first one in the second row if it's still there.
So everyone who has ever been to S'ville knows about the FCP, aka The Food Center Parking Lot. Well Iqaluit has its own version in the North Mart front entrance, except people just stand around instead of park.
So to prevent it, another store in town blasts LOUD annoying music (either opera or middle-eastern/indianish music). So I took this video (which doesn't do it justice because I'm far away and the cold/snow is messing with the view, but you get the idea):
2 comments:
Man I should go to the FCP and blast Regina Spektor, maybe it would make everyone go away
yayyyyyyyyyyyy, glad your work goes well. :D
ummmmmm long time no talk!
I had an interview.
Heather remains in the tropics.
Grammy squat another finger.
yah, that's about it . . .
Post a Comment