Wednesday, November 07, 2007

You sigh low.

Very few things reported in the news make me want to cry. I watch the destruction of thousands occurring everyday overseas and I stare at the newspaper like it’s just told me the sky is blue.

Although I’m probably one of the few people my age who keeps a diligent eye on what is happening here in Canada and around the world, I sadly remain apathetic to the facts.

But today in a rare occurrence, I found my eyes welling up with tears as I read of the horrible death of an RCMP officer in Kimmirut, NU.

Every single aspect of this story got at me, like it was taken straight from the horrible scenarios I sometimes conjure in my head.

“A 20-year-old Mountie was shot and killed in the line of duty in Kimmirut, a small community in Nunavut. Const. Douglas Scott became the second RCMP officer within a month to be gunned down in the region. His death comes as the national police force reviews its back-up policy and questions swirl around the practice of sending inexperienced officers to Canada's high Arctic. . .

I could honestly write forever on how this makes me want to get a megaphone and stand in front of Parliament until someone looks out the window and questions what I’m doing. Because it looks like no one is asking questions. And when they are, they’re not the right ones to ask.

People inquire how the RCMP could send an inexperienced officer to the north. But no one is questioning why this is even an issue. We send soldiers who are fresh from boot camp to Afghanistan. Is Canada less safe than a war torn country?

There are so many things wrong with how the north is being governed. I’m just wondering how many more people have to lose their lives before someone figures this out.

1 comment:

Robyn McHugh said...

my heart.
it hurts.