Sunday, August 27, 2006

First day in the "Big City."

I awoke at five this morning in my co-pilot’s home. We ventured east at six and made it here at four with no moose sightings.

We pulled up in front of a house. My house. And to be honest? I was pretty disgusted to see that my house was just like everyone else’s house on Seaborne Street. My house is nice. Nice floor. Nice carpet. Very nice closet space.

But it’s smaller than what we are accustom to, and it’s generic. Don’t get me wrong, I know were fortunate and all that garbage to have a nice new home. But I want my crap-hole in S’ville back. :(

I feel like the biggest sook known to man as I sit on my bare mattress in my boxed up room, listening to the sounds of my parents and aunt and uncle eating Chinese food downstairs. Oh yeah, there’s stairs. I’ve never had stairs before.

I’m not doing much tonight because. I’m still uber exhausted from the Relay (pictures to come later!). I’ll unpack my clothes and set up my bed, but I’m going to bed early tonight because Leah and I have hugeeee day of shopping ahead of us tomorrow.

Oh yeah, for the record, I’m stealing internet from one of the nine people who have wireless around me. Thanks “Elizabeth”!

1 comment:

thelastnick said...

I must say...I share your sadness that your house is exactly like all the others on your street. Honestly, it deeply troubles me whenever I see streets like that. It's why I've always hated living in area 13. My street isn't too bad...but the rest is unnerving.

It reminds me of a story I did in school many years ago. I don't know if you've heard of it. It was about a street, as like many, where all the houses were exactly the same. Same color and all that. So one day the main character wakes up to find a big yellow spot on his roof. I don't recall if he actually put the spot there or not. It seems that he was somewhat surprised with it. Anyways after his possible shock he came to terms with the spot and actually quite liked absurdety and originality of the whole situation.

Now this is a very conservative neighbourhood with occupants who quite enjoy the mundane order of the street as it always was. All of the man's neighbours promptly confronted him on his doorstep, demanding that he fix the spot immediately. To this he kindly refused.

After realizing that they cannot force him to remove the spot they actually go and paint a yellow spot on each of their roofs! So the next morning the awake expecting a nicely uniform street. But the man has now placed pink flamingos on his lawn! Which they promptly copy that night.

This goes on until all the houses are looking completely crazy with all kinds of paint and decorations everywhere.

And I feel terribly sorry that I have no idea how the story ends. I spent much time last night looking for it but I can't remember any more than I've told you and google is no help. I think the guy puts his house back to normal or something.

Anyways I'll see you the weekend.
Have fun!

--
Dave