Thursday, June 29, 2006

Ex and why.

You know when you see people that you haven't seen in a long time, or someone you don't see very often, they always have the same comments. Example (since I know she won't mind) Holly always gets "Myyy, you take after your dad." She gets this astonishingly a lot since anyone who really knows her, knows that she is identical to her mom.

I always. Always. Get that frigging height comment. And most of the time I do not care. Like I really, honestly do not care. I am so good at tuning people out. You'd be surprised how often I am not listening to someone.

But. I cannot stand: "My, you're so tall! You get that from your dad.", "Oh, you get that height from your father for sure.", "Oh that is from Dave's side of the family." Do not pretend you know anything about anyone in my family, especially my father.

Today I went into Domino’s to pick up my order for Smith. One of the women who work there live up the road from me and I used to play with her son when we younger. When I told her Smith she looked at me with utter amazement. “You’re not Sarah?!” she says. “Yes,” I reply, “I live down the road.” “Oh my, you’ve grown so much! You’re certainly not short, you get that from your dad.”

Um excuse me? You’ve what, seen my dad like all of once as you drove by while he shoveled or something? You do not know where I get my genes from. And your hamster bit me when I was six you jerk.

I constantly fume when I get the old “Get it from papa” stuff. It’s just so. . . Mean. Now everyone is all WTF at this point because they have no idea what I’m talking about. But rest assured, I will not be attacking anyone with my colossal size just yet. One day maybe, but not today.

2 comments:

thelastnick said...

I constantly get the dad thing. But with me it's pretty obvious that they're right. So I can't complain too much.

Anonymous said...

for me... it's my mom...
and I don't see it... I'm guessing it's cause I'm really pale like her, kind of blonde hair and have blue eyes... but other then that... I don't see it!

and I too HATE it when people tell me this...
I was working today, a person seen my hair cut offand said "now you look like your mom!"
and smiled and said "I don't look like my mom!"
then he said "then who do you look like!?"... think he got me...
I said simply "Me, have a good day" and gave him his change.