Monday, June 26, 2006

I'm new, ask me my name.

So today was the first shift as Salvation Army Stephenville Community Church Thrift Store Employee.

I was not at all nervous since it wasn’t going to be hard work and I was working with Pauline and Alice. We had a blast, they’re both nice and funny people. Alice’s daughter just got married so she was all “Wedding OMGSPLOSION.” But it was cute.

I knew it was going to be wild because when we opened the doors, there were six people waiting to get in.

I realized early on, while interaction with the customer is key, if you let them talk to you, they will talk forever. It’s kind of obscene.

Another thing I realized, there are amazing deals at the thrift store, like holy frickin cow. Here are some of the deals I came across today.

Bluenotes Jeans – Size 30, $2.50
AE Jeans - $2.50 SOLD!
Columbia Jacket - Size Small, $4
AE Polo – Men’s, Size Medium, $1.50
Silver Corduroy Jacket – Size Nine, $5

There are more but I can’t remember anything about them, just seeing them. The best part is, anything I see that I like I can just put it to the side to try on later. SWEET. I sold the AE jeans to Leah, whom I told about them while on my break (I can go over and visit her and eat her candy!)

Alice has the suckiest job ever, she has to unpack the bags and put the on hangers and sort them. Those bags are massively heavy, I can barely lift them. We must have got 25 bags of clothes today, and there are so many already back there.

Eight hours is so long, I cannot take it. But it’s a job, and I can sit down for a few minutes if I get tired. And I get two fifteen minute breaks and an hour one. Which is an hour and fifteen more minutes than I would have got at McDonald’s with the same shift.

No comments: