What happens when one is faced with an aversion? A death, an illness, a seperation, a loss of something. You might ponder this for some time. Think it through. Decide what happens. Elisabeth Kubler-Ross happens.
In 1969 she wrote a book called On Death and Dying, in this book she listed the five stages of grief. Some say these stages are not detailed enough to be scientific reasoning. I think it's brilliant. I think a person could apply it to almost any situation and find it to be fitting.
The five stages are:
Denial
Anger
Bargaining
Depression
Acceptance
No this isn't happening to me. Why the hell is this happening to me. Please, I'll do anything. I can't possibly survive this. I'll get through. Maybe it takes time for these stages to take their course. Maybe some last longer than others.
I find it amazing that one person could have the know-how to label a feeling. Can we label happiness? Ecstasy? Amazement? We are able to explain the one feeling no one wants to feel. The one everyone must go through in their life, their penance for living.
No, I am not dying. Yes, this could be deemed as a morbid post. Look at it as an explanation.
Sunday, June 25, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
... I went through every one of those emotions when I found out about me having Crohn's!
I'll admit, what I have isn't all that bad... but it was and still is a shocker to me at times.
Post a Comment